Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Charlotte's Web

I was speaking to a friend today about vegetarians, Jews, and Muslims and why they don't eat certain farm animals. We talked about the motivations behind the different types of vegans and the differences between being raised in a certain belief system and making conscious adult decisions not to eat fattening strips of fried pig flesh. Which by the way, are magically delicious even though pigs are one of the filthiest scavengers around.

If you've seen Pulp Fiction you might remember the conversation Jules and Vincent have in the diner towards the end of the movie. When Vincent offers Jules some sausage he declines saying he's not Jewish, he just doesn't dig swine because it's a filthy animal. Vincent says, "Sausages taste good. Pork chops taste good." Jules retorts, "A sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie. I'll never know 'cause even if it did, I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker".

Jules goes on to explain that pigs sleep and root in shit and he refuses to eat an animal that doesn't have enough sense to disregard it's own feces. Interesting concept I thought. Unless I was stranded on a deserted island without food, I probably would never eat a rat. But even then, I would have serious reservations about eating rat meat. Unless of course, it tasted like pumpkin pie.

I had never really considered how filthy pigs were until I had a) seen Pulp Fiction and b) read about some of the diseases and worms that are found in pigs. I'll spare you the vile details of my research, but let's just say I'm siding with the Muslims and Jules on this one. I'm so going to miss combination fried rice.

I have the utmost respect for people who follow their beliefs (as silly as some may seem) and whatever the reasons might be that they choose not to eat meat, pork, goldfish, or newborn albino babies is of no consequence. What does matter, is when they deem it necessary to push their beliefs onto you or mock you for the ones you observe. That being said, I should probably stop laughing at my sister for not owning a microwave. At least she'll probably never get testicular cancer. 

 

No comments: