Sunday, March 2, 2008

Meet Joe Black

I've been meaning to incorporate a weekly Movie Review segment in my blog, but being that I wouldn't be getting paid, it all just seems like a lot of work really. And as much as I may like most of you, I don't feel as though I need a part time job at the moment. So, in lieu of having some formal weekly column, I'll try to review them as regularly as possible in hopes of saving you from foolishly wasting your money on going to the theatre to watch crap. Who knows, after awhile, you may be inclined to just give me the money instead.

Although I've been slacking on the movie watching as of late, I've also been putting in double time furiously trying to catch up. Not only do I subscribe to Netflix but I occasionally roll into the local Block Buster to flirt with the hot assistant manager rent the flicks that flew under the radar. Keeping me from staying on top of new releases is a disorder I developed as a child that forces me to watch classics on cable regardless of how many times their contents have been imprinted to memory. Case in point, I'm watching Unforgiven as I type this. One of Eastood's best by the way, along with Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River. I have yet to check out his latest though, Letters from Iwo Jima.

Here's a quick rundown of what's been on my plate: Juno was a cute movie, even funny at times, although I won't be buying the soundtrack any time soon. And by that I mean I'd prefer to hear epileptic whales having sex for two hours. Notes on a Scandal was intriguingly good and both Kate Blanchett and Judi Dench were brilliant as usual. Hands down though, Daniel Day-Lewis delivered the best acting performance of the entire year in There will Be Blood, but this movie is definitely not every one's cup of tea. If you're not into "artistic" pieces or can sit through an entire stage play, skip this one. I rented Gone Baby Gone a few weeks ago, and I thought it was fantastic even though Ben Affleck was in the director's chair! Very Mystic River-ish with a nice twist. Definitely worth renting. I'm half way through Vovler (that foreign flick with Penelope Cruz) and lying next to my DVD player is Michael Clayton which I also hope to knock out by tomorrow. Among some of the movies on their way are: No Country For Old Men, Into The Wild, Eastern Promises, Elizabeth; The Golden Years, and Saving Ryan's Privates.

By the way, if you want advice on a great rental I have just the movie for you. Despite being out for a while, a lot of people still don't know about it; Stranger than Fiction. I'm not a huge fan of Will Farrell, but this movie was wonderfully clever and will not disappoint. Happy watching.

That concludes this week's edition of Critic's Corner . . . . if there's something you think I need to watch that's not in my movie que. . . Holla atcha boy! (for those of you who grew up watching John Wayne, that means Let me know)

2 comments:

la cubana gringa said...

Loved, loved, LOVED Stranger than Fiction. Thought a few of the songs on Juno's soundtrack were good (the one they played at the end, in particular) but agree that, by and large, most of it wasn't my cup of cafe con leche. Michael Clayton was kinda Ehhh in my opinion.

Mr. Poopie said...

LCG - there you are my love! Missed ya! Yeah, I TOTALLY agree with you on stranger than fiction. I did finish Michael Clayton and the most I can say about it is the supporting actor's performance was really good and the ending was good. Other than that, you hit the nail on the head, it was just kinda Ehhh.