Thursday, September 25, 2008

Burn After Reading

I think I have a problem. I just read a book in three days. TH-REEEEEE days! Once I start I just can't stop. I want to know what happens. No. I need to know what happens! I just went to a little book store on the edge of town, as if it were a crack house, to stock up for the coming weeks. And when I want to encourage children to read I tell them it's just like crack. "You'll love it!" I say. "Well, not the crack, I mean you'll love that too, but it's not good for you. So, uh, stick to the books, because reading is fun. Well, probably not as fun as crack, technically, but much, much safer. And although stealing money from mommy's purse might seem like a good idea, getting her to just buy you some books would be a lot easier. You'll probably get more books than you would crack for the same amount of money anyway, if you bargain your little ass off. And when you run out of money, you can always check books out from the library, where unfortunately, you can't do that with crack. Although, I would imagine that you could probably get through a lot more library books if you were on crack, but that's just speculatory." Here is a short recap of the books I've recently left in the wake of my insatiable crack-reading tornado:

I just finished Water for Elephants. Great historical novel, quick read obviously, but cleverly written. It's about a young veterinary student from Cornell University that runs off to join the circus after tragedy strikes his life during the Great Depression. It's mainly told as a series of memories from the main character who is presently a 90 yr old, or a 93 yr old resident at a nursing home.

Before that, Three cups of Tea. The unbelievable recount of a devout climber who attempts to summit the 2nd tallest peak in the world, K2, which is found in the Himalayas. During the descent of this particular endeavor, he is in awe at the hospitality a local tribe shows him. After discovering that the children learn by using sticks to draw in the sand and are devoid of school supplies, much less an actual school, he's inspired to build one for them. For those unfamiliar with that part of the world, this mountain is located in northern Pakistan. Which by the way, borders Afghanistan and Iran. So, sufficed to say, building a school there comes with particular "challenges" for an American. Especially, during the events of 9/11. Anyway, I highly recommend it.

Before that I crushed Eat, Pray, Love, one of the more enjoyable reads I've had in a long, long time. Brilliantly written, fraught with humor, and extraordinary metaphoric references, a writer chronicles her journey of self discovery after an extremely excruciating divorce. She travels to Italy, India, and Bali, meeting people, learning languages, and finding that one person we all wish to connect with. Anyway, Fantastic book. Read it already!

Prior to that, I read The Life of Pi, which at first is difficult to get through, but the pay off is deliciously worth it. It's about an Indian boy who's parents own a zoo and decide to move to Canada. He Ends up shipwrecked at sea, the lone human survivor, along with a few animal characters; one being a ferocious Bengal tiger. Very intriguing story that makes you want to read it again, just for good measure.

The Power of Now, a magnificent story of enlightenment and Marley and Me, a dog lover must, were also superb books. I would tell you what else I've been reading, but I think you should mind your own business. Besides, you have some catching up to do . . . .

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I loved Water for Elephants... I couldn't put that thing down! I am a book addict too... it must run in the family or something!

Tammy said...

Sarah made me read Water for Elephants after Cristina bought it for me for my birthday. Loved it. I'm reading my children books for right now, love Ghost's Grave! Great children's book and quick read.

Mr. Poopie said...

sara - I know, I couldn't put it down either. Got upset that I actually had to sleep! I guess worse things could be inherited.

tammy - I see now I just have to mention a book, and you'll leave a comment. Although, perhaps you could recommend a book for me that contains six syllable words? Not that I didn't love the book everybody poops. I'm just saying.

Lilly said...

I havent read any of those. For some reason, one of my few "girly-girl" traits is that I like "chick lit". Hey, a lot is good stuff AND was made into great comdram movies.

I tend to devour them very quickly too. Almost like...wow...i paid that much, and got thru it that quickly?? If I start one on a saturday or sunday...I've been known to finish it by 1am. or the next morning.

Tammy said...

Okay Mr. Poopie Head . . . You know I love all kinds of book, so here are a few other of my favorites that I'm going to suggest. The Higher Power of Lucky-a great book about acceptance. Or In the Land of the Lawn Weenies (yes, that's really a book), a great creepy tales book. But, the one I'm sending you is Three Weeks with My Brother. A book that reminds you to never take your siblings for granted! Happy Reading!

Mrs. Hall said...

Eat pray love was a fantastic read. I was really getting into my bikram yoga when I was reading it.

very interesting list!