Friday, November 14, 2008

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Haven't felt much like writing lately, so I've been dedicating that time to reading instead. Besides, there are a few books I need to knock out before I'm ready to take on that new Twilight series. I just hope it's as good as I've heard.

On a similar note, I have mixed emotions about reading books before watching the movie, or vice versa. Movies will inevitably leave out chunks of important storyline or will simply fail to live up to the world painted by the imagination. And if you see the movie first, you already know what's going to happen while you read, making intricate endings hollow or anticlimactic. Movie or Book? I'm generally more inclined to read the book first, primarily because after I've seen the movie, there's no way in hell I'm going to be motivated enough to read the book. Especially, if there is more than one. Perfect example, Lord of the Rings. Sure, I had read the Hobbit as a kid, but after watching the three Ring movies, I don't think the books could top it. Particularly since the movie is probably how I would have imagined it anyway. Although, I wouldn't have made Gandolf such a sissy in the movie.

Fightclub was an awesome movie. I thought that reading the book afterwards would be a good idea as well, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Great book, but it's exactly like the movie and no matter how extraordinary your imagination might be, there's no way it would have created a better performance than what the movie and its actors delivered. And for those of you who haven't experienced either, the narrator and Tyler Durden are the same person. Yeah, I'm in that kind of a mood.

I wish I would have read the Harry Potter books before watching the movies, none of which I liked too much by the way. Here is one instance that I think my imagination would have done a way better job of things. I can already hear the grumbles of disagreement, but I found them to be a little too juvenile for my tastes. Not to mention, anyone standing in line dressed up in anything other than normal clothes, waiting for stores to open so they can purchase the next book in the series, isn't typically an indication of anything I want to be a part of. I'm not one to follow the masses anyway. Notably those fanatically adorned with capes and wielding magic wands. Don't get me wrong though, I'd bang a hot sorceress in a heartbeat. I'm just sayin'.

The Twilight movie might be good, but it has just as much potential, if not more, to suck. It's difficult to make movies with the element of flying in them. You either have to stick entirely with the thought of fantasy, or make it seem realistic enough to correspond with a story that you want people to believe can be real. In either case, the actual physics of flying has to closely mimic the laws that govern flight in our world, otherwise viewers will automatically see the flaws and lose interest. Once you have attained seamlessness in physical action, then you have to look at the acting. There are going to be a slew of teenage actors, and if one of them isn't pulling his or her own weight, then that performance can discredit the entire movie. Happens all the time. Difficult balance I know, but whenever movies depend too much on computer graphics, things generally take a turn for the worse, because in those instances, little attention, if any, is given to actual acting.

Anyway, I could continue this rhetoric for days properly schooling you on movies, but like I said earlier . . . . . . . I'd rather be reading. That is, until I go see Quantum of Solace tonight. And who knows, I just might have to stand in line for a while too, but I'll be sure to leave the tux at home. Of course, only after I crush that shaken martini.

7 comments:

Holly Hall said...

Somehow, I saw the last fifteen minutes of the Fight Club movie before I saw the rest of it.

My husband, to this day, rails on my about this. To THIS DAY HE STILL MENTIONS IT.

Like during intellectual discussions and such. Like a character flaw to disprove a point I am making.

Well, truth be told, I also say the ending to the sixth sense before I saw the whole thing.

These events are never intentional, they just happen.

really, it's true. I have weird movie karma.

:)

Holly

Amy xxoo said...

See, I aws kind of the opposite with " Lord of the Rings ". I watched the first film and then i was so desperate to see what happened next - i mean, i couldnt possibly wait another year - that i went out and bought the books.

Aside from " LOTR ", there is only one other film to book adaption that i think works equally well in both mediums - " High Fidelity ". I Love Nick Hornby and I love John Cusack, so it was a win-win situation.

Mr. Poopie said...

Holly - You did WHAT?!? OMG, and he forgave you? Don't you be spreadn' that bad movie juju around these parts. Thems is fightn' words! LOL

Amy - welcome, and I agree with you on that one. I'm a huge Cusack fan too, (Joan's funny as shit). Btw, you need to check out this trailer: http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/2012/teaser-trailer. Our buddy Cusack's in it! Caint wait!

Holly Hall said...

Alright Mr. Poopie!

Just like I repeatedly tell Mr. Hall, I didn't watch the endings of Fight Club/Sixth Sense on purpose, it just happened. So I really didn't do anything wrong.

Mr. Hall disagrees btw.

But yeah, I can tell you feel much the same way about it.

Goodness, ok, closing the comment box before my bad mojo leaks out!

:)

Holly

Cap'n Marrrrk said...

One word: Watchmen

Get on it now. Jump on the nerd wagon.

Mr. Poopie said...

cap'n - well allow me to retort!

two words: The Avengers

See you on the wagon essay . . . .

tracey said...

I'm more of a "book is always better than the movie" person as well. With LOTR & even the Harry Potter series, there's no way to condense a 500 page book into a 120 pg screen play without leaving out plot points we loved in the books. There are better examples, but I'm on cold meds, so that's as far as my brain will dig for examples.