Monday, December 1, 2008

Interview With A Vampire

Well, against my better judgement, I finally succumbed to my sister's relentless pleading to read Twilight. I hope that she doesn't read this, (I feel that my honesty might crush her entirely) but here is what I thought about it in a nutshell; it was okay.

I feel that the story took entirely way too long to develop, and when the suspense had finally peaked, reaching the long awaited climax, much was left to be desired. Kind of like when you finally get to kiss your beautiful date at the end of a exquisite night, you disappointingly discover that a vacuum cleaner, or a Saint Bernard would be a better kisser. The story ended pretty much as ordinarily as it had begun, which after all that had transpired was a bit disappointing and left me with no overwhelming desire to want to read the other three that follow. Granted, I'm not a pubescent female teen, I still feel that a love story with dangerous vampires would have left me a little more satisfied. Of course, the allure of vampires being the only reason I even agreed to read a love story to begin with. And to pacify my sister's groveling pleas, obviously.

I don't mean to be entirely nit picky, but I think the writing wasn't that impressive either. I mean, if I'm going to spend my time reading 500 pages of anything, especially a book that has received as much praise as this one has, I generally prefer for the author to have superior writing skills to mine. Call me old fashioned, but I like authors to either spark my imagination, elicit thought, or keep me entranced with intrigue or suspense. And from time to time, I'm not against a chuckle or two. Not that I think I'm some great writer by any stretch of the imagination, but I suspect that I could have possibly written something comparable, at the very least, a little juicier.

Anyway, it wasn't a bad book by any means. It was a relatively fresh perspective on a subject that Ann Rice has had her fangs sunk into for as long as I can remember. I suppose I just expected more considering how popular the series has become, and how much my 39 year old sister insisted that I read them. I did have to take into consideration that all of her previous reading recommendations up to this point have been more than solid. So, I won't be holding this one against her. After all, unlike Edward . . . . . . . she's only human.

9 comments:

Amy xxoo said...

I havent read the books, and after having seen the trailers for the movie, I cant say i'm really interested in either of them.

Films are rarely better than their novel predecessors so if the book isnt all that awesome, what hope does the movie have ?

Mr. Poopie said...

amy - very insightful. All of the literary participants I have spoken to so far were disappointed in the movie as well. I've heard responses such as "low budget" and "CGI nightmare".

Sarah said...

I was called a Twilight Hater b/c I refuse to read/ watch it! I will hold that title with pride! :)

Regina said...

I am not a Twilight Hater, just someone who doesn't follow the crowd as easy as most. When everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, I am usually waiting to see if it tips over.

Mr. Poopie said...

Sarah - you can't say you hate spinach if you've never tried it.

Regina - You and me are so alike sometimes it's freaky. I never follow the crowd either. And just for the record, I was PULLED into that bandwagon. Kicking and screaming mind you. I think I even pulled a muscle.

cdmB said...

Thanks for reading the book! I never expected you to enjoy it as much as I did. If you did, I would seriously start to doubt your manhood - but I wanted to have someone else to chat with about it. I have tons of female friends that joined me in the Twilight Zone, but it is nice to have a male perspective. As for the "twilight haters" out there - your loss.

Fleas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fleas said...

Twilight is an emotional roller coaster ride in someone else's head. As a female who loves roller coasters, I loved the thrills, the spills and the romance - like life, I enjoyed the ride!

Thanks for reading it, though. It shows you have an open mind, and at least are willing to ride.

cdmB said...

Amen, Sista!