Saturday, July 25, 2009

Secondhand Lions

On the recommendations of a couple of fellow bloggers, I went to Barnes & Noble to pick up a few summer reads, because everyone knows that my only passion in life that compares to my adoration of breasts, is books. They both can come hard or soft, they both can nurture you, entertain you, and even educate you. Books however will never sag. At least not for a very very long time.

Lolita and the Time Traveler's Wife were in my sights, among some other ones I've been meaning to pick up. The first, by Nabakov, I found with relative ease. I have two others of his already on my to read book shelf. The latter, however, was nowhere to be seen or found. Unfortunately, as it turned out, everywhere I went was also completely sold out!

As I was walking my dog this morning, I noticed a little garage sale in the neighborhood. Nothing out of the ordinary at first glance. Upon closer scrutiny, my eyes fell upon the most beautiful treasure I had ever seen.....a table, as though the broad shoulders of Atlas supporting the Earth, was holding the weight of a hundred books upon its back. My eyes widened, my heart's pace quickened, my mind began furiously deliberating the possibilities; how many books were there? What kind could they be? Could there be anything good in that mountainous heap of paper and print?

As if compelled by a force not my own, my legs carried me directly to where Atlas knelt, with my dog in a similar trance as he locked in on a box of stuffed animals. Trying to remain calm and not appear too desperate, I quickly began my investigative probe. As I scanned the titles of books, I quickly came to 2 major conclusions: 1) Whoever was selling these books has amazing taste. 2) they must either be an idiot, or have lost their mind for selling them for only 50 cents a piece. We were both drooling noticeably.

The Namesake, White Oleander, Drowning Ruth, What the Dead Know, and Atonement were my final choices. Can you believe that? For $2.50 I managed to snag these stupendous books for a fraction of what I spent at the store. I know what you're thinking, why didn't I buy more? Well, the truth is, not only is my to read shelf growing exponentially out of control, but I would't have had anywhere to put them.

As I was guiltlessly ripping my neighbor's off, and my dog the head of a lion, the owner came down and we began discussing our passion for literature and how this table of books barely put a dent in what she had upstairs. For a moment, I imagined a vast library of books in her home, shelves upon shelves of awesomeness, countless stacks as high as the ceiling, books consuming every open space and covering furniture like wild Ivy. The thought made me smile. We talked for about twenty minutes before my dog was like, dude the lion's dead and you're boring the shit out of me, can we go? The book lady asked which ones I had purchased, and as I went down the list I said, "Oh, yes, and apparently that decapitated lion as well."

I never did find the Time Traveler's Wife, but I found so much more instead. Just goes to show you that you don't always get what you want.......sometimes you get more! Oh, and the city's no place for a lion.

7 comments:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

I would love to find a bargain like that!! My wallet doesn't like my reading habit that much. Good luck searching for the Time Traveler's wife, its an amazing book!

Amy xxoo said...

I've read - and own - both " White Oleander " and " Atonement ", and throughly recommend both. I also recommend both film versions too, if you're interested.

And hey, now that i have three weeks off after surgery, i have a bit of time up my sleeve to catch up on some of my own reading!

Mr. Poopie said...

Sarah - I know, I know, it was totally heaven sent. Hopefully I can get someone to trade me for it on Swaptree. By the way, I usually peruse the local book shops for great deals; little easier on the pocket book.

Amy - Well, well, glad you're still alive and kickn'. Good to have you back! Yes, I've already seen both movies...something tells me the books should be much better.

Tammy said...

Mr. Poopie, you should be getting Time Travelers Wife in a few days. Think of it as a belated birthday gift. It's going to your sister's house because Amazon couldn't find your address. I didn't want it to get lost, and it's a good excuse to go see her. Enjoy. I'm reading it next. Sarah said I had to before the movie comes out and ruins the book.

Mr. Poopie said...

Tammy - You're so awesome! I'll read it and get it back to you in no time. I should be done with the Alchemist by then. Shit! Just gave away what I was reading . . . .

Salut! chou chou said...

Garage sales like that make me wonder if I'd done enough good in my life to deserve something so wonderful...

Enjoy your reads!