Sunday, May 9, 2010

Iron Man 2

Robert Downey Jr. reprises his role as the witty, volatile, and insanely rich Tony Stark. Along side him are Don Cheadle, Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson. Gwyeneth Paltrow returns as the perpetually worried Pepper Potts and continuing his career revitalization campaign, is the often underrated Mickey Rourke, as Ivan Vanko, the film's antagonist.

I won't go into plot details, because the synopsis can be found on-line, and I don't want to spoil the movie for you. I will say, however, that the plot, one of revenge, was overshadowed and driven by the purpose of introducing characters for the upcoming Avenger films. For those of you who are not comic book nerds, the Avengers are a group of Marvel comic book superheroes brought together to fight evil forces. Among them, is Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, The Scarlett Witch, and Thor (a mythical Norse God), just to name a few. In later issues of the comic, Spider Man and Wolverine join the group.

Generally, I don't have a problem with a film setting up a sequel, however, Iron Man 2 is so targeted with the introduction of its future films, that it, pardon the pun, takes on a "comic book" feel. Although, entertaining, I feel that Iron Man 2 didn't follow the successful formula of the first film (one of my biggest pet peeves and the number one reason for unsuccessful sequels) and even though it had great performances by Rourke and Downey, it wasn't enough to ignore the cheesy and contrived implantation of random characters. Setting up the Avenger films was such a concern, that the final battle scene was slightly anti-climactic, and short-lived.

Scarlett Johansson's character was virtually emotionless, save for a few flirtatious one-liner exchanges with Downey. Jon Favreau, who also directed the first Iron Man, did manage to successfully introduce some comical elements, but he also managed to lose my attention at times with the outlandishly, overplayed, annoying character of Justin Hammer, who is a weapons manufacturer, and Tony Starks' competition. I did like the clever "Captain America" reference in the movie, but you unfortunately have to sit through the painstakingly, long credits to catch a short clip of Thor's landing on Earth.

All in all, the film was visually stimulating and entertaining, but I ultimately feel that it could have been better. My overall assessment for this movie is three and a half stars out of 5, worth the price of admission, but not good enough to make it to my movie collection. Younger children will enjoy the action, but will definitely be lulled to sleep by the middle of the movie until the real activity starts. Enjoy the film and I look forward to your thoughts.

7 comments:

Special K said...

Hey buddy, after reading your review, it makes what I heard about the filming, of said movie, all the more believable. I heard that Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 were filmed at pretty much the same time and broken up into two separate movies, altogether. I wasn't sure if I believed it, but hearing your review made me think about it and makes me want to see it even more, now, to see if it is that glaring of a reality. Just thought I'd share that with you. I thoroughly enjoy your work, keep it up.

Slyde said...

you definitely seem to have liked it slightly better than i did. My review is up over on my site.

i just dont feel like this one worked at all.

p.s. special k: im not sure where you heard that, but there is NO iron man 3 yet. in the next 2 years we will see captain america and thor movies, followed by an avenger movie.

Brown said...

Special K - welcome back my brotha from anotha...yeah, um...okay. So, anywho, this is one of those classic "blockbuster syndrome" sequels. They be keepin the their mind on their money, and their money on their mind. That sounded way better in my head...

Slyde - I'm with you, I was a little generous. I'll go check your review. Like your blog man, good work!

Brown said...

Special K - fyi, my research coincides with Slyde's response: Captain America, Avenger movie 1, then Iron Man 3. Also, I discovered that DC Comics is making a Justice League movie. Think the Green Lantern's gonna be out soon, played by Ryan Reynolds. Will definitely be nice to see Batman and Superman together....Finally!

Heff said...

Avengers Movie ? I HAD NO IDEA !

heartinsanfrancisco said...

When are they going to make a flick about Captain Marvel and his sister Mary? I haven't seen this one yet but despite so many good actors, it sounds disappointing.

Charles said...

Erotic Massage Parlor reviews, Locations and Pictures!

http://www.EroticMP.info