Monday, June 7, 2010

Mona Lisa's Smile

Why is it that every time I go to buy a new toothbrush, there seems to be a mass shortage? Literally, empty rows of preventative dental care instruments. I want to stave off gingivitis as much as the next person, but I don’t feel the need to by a 5 pack in order to do so? Are people not brushing anymore, is there not a sufficient demand for dental hygiene products that warrants keeping the shelves full? Or is it the exact opposite? Is it possible that people are going on toothbrush buying rampages in order to combat cavities that seem to be more prominent due to the consumption of our exorbitantly sugar-laden food? Are people trashing their toothbrushes every couple of weeks? No comprendo.

It’s not just the same store either. I've tried Wal-mart, Target, Rite-Aid, CVS…..nada. I mean, they have some, but  the pickins are pretty slim. Is there some crisis that I’m unaware of? Even if there were, would stocking up on toothbrushes be necessary? I don’t know what the logic there would be, but if I were going to weather a nuclear holocaust, the furthest thought from my mind would be dreading the idea of having to use the same toothbrush for more than 90 days.

Look, I’m a reasonable guy, and a laid back consumer. I don’t ask for much besides new and innovative, self sustaining, or recyclable products that have practical uses and make my life easier, but it’s not like I need a toothbrush that hovers over my sink and tells me that I’m late for work, or that I’ve missed a spot. I just want a plain old freaking toothbrush in a non- feminine color, without some radical maze of protruding rubber bristles diligently waiting to massage my gums. Simple and easy.  Geesh.

6 comments:

Mrs. Hall said...

"in a non-feminine color"

What? a pink toothbrush is too good for you?

HA!!! that's funny!

I use the oral be- with the timer

http://www.oralb.com/products/pc5000/

it's like being reborn i tells ya!

order it, you won't be sorry!

:)

Brown said...

As long as it's pink in support of breast cancer awareness, then I'm down. Otherwise, a brotha just wants some shade of blue or dark green. Why don't they make black ones?

mischief said...

That's a funny thing, the fact that black toothbrushes don't seem to have hit the markets in full force. I wonder why not. I bet it would be a popular item! If only I was the entrepreneurial type...

Fleas said...

I was listening to the radio a couple years back and they were saying you should change out your toothbrush every 2 wks or whenever you get sick. I don't do that, but I did buy a huge pack of toothbrushes to have when the kids' friends come over, trips, etc.

Brown said...

mischief- I don't think I've EVER seen a black toothbrush. Why is that?

fleas- Hmmm...I wonder who endorsed that message?

Slyde said...

a shortage of tooth brushes?

where the heck do you live, on the moon?