Monday, January 3, 2011

Helplessly Romantic

I sincerely hope that you all had a blessed and fulfilling holiday. I realize that it has been a little while since our last correspondence, so I figured it would be best to start the New Year on the right foot. Particularly, since the left is not nearly as handsome and veers slightly to the left. Nonetheless, we generally don’t talk about it as he is still loved.

As you all know, I come from a magical place that manufactures perfect shades of brown skin. Being a genetic benefactor of such awesome power also comes with other rewards, such as the proficiency to shout eloquent strings of expletives in another language, the ability to dance, and the capacity to consume copious amounts of flan. Communicating in multiple languages does have its obvious benefits, but it also has its nuances as well. For instance, my phone isn’t capable of typing the Spanish letter Ñ. This is paramount in order to distinguish the difference between the regular sounding “N” in Spanish, as in the word NO, and the accentuated “Ñ” found in the word AÑO, which means year. This “Ñ”, creates more of an “enyeeah” sound, making the word AÑO pronounced “Ah-nee-yo”.

I know what most of you are thinking, not a big deal. For the most part, the majority of you are correct. Whilst speaking, this creates no real obstacles for effective communication to occur. However, in writing, this little guy here ~, means the difference between conveying the word year, or the word anus. Needless to say, for the past few days I have been wishing all of my Spanish speaking brethren, and family, to have a Happy New Anus instead of a Happy New Year. And here you thought Spanish was so romantic. 

4 comments:

Mrs. Hall said...

so. i got another massage and OMG!! it was a facial/shoulder rub type thing. Then . . I got a back massage and seriously, all this tension just came melting out.

which really . . .I had to hold back the moaning. (blushes)

It didn't always work though, I moaned a little. Not in a naughty way, but a way that indicates the crazy was melting out of my body.

WORD!

mischief said...

Fantastic! What a wonderful way to return. I missed you! Happy Anus to you!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

And a very Happy New Anus to you! I'm sorry the old one didn't work out so well, but as they say, out with the old and in with the new.

Do you have any more flan?

Brown said...

Mrs. Hall - always glad to hear about a positive massage experience, even if there was moaning. (Don't worry, we can always tell the difference)

mischief - Awww...I've missed you too. Thank you for the lovely e-mail. I intended to respond, but was never quite pleased with my choice of words.

heartin s.f. - Happy New Anus! Alas, the flan disappeared with the champagne, but I'm determined to work it in to a new year's resolution!