Thursday, July 21, 2011

Morning Glory

So, I woke up at 7:30 a.m. this morning. Now, I realize that for many of you this may be a common practice, and may even be a lifestyle preference. However, for those of us who work in the dark cavernous bowels of a spa, and who have a genetic predisposition to laziness, this time may as well be when Satan comes to Earth with legions of demons and proceeds to possess people’s souls. At least it would explain why so many people are grouchy in the morning.

Interestingly, however, what I do find when I’m fortuitously awoken around this time, is that I am amazingly productive. I know, I know, how more paradoxical could I really be? Lazy and productive. Talented and unmotivated. Look, I don’t make the rules, and quite frankly, I had nothing to do with the ingredients that make up this tall cup of enigmatic, sexy, chocolate, deliciousness…I just play the game like everybody else. 


In any event, life is not without its little ironies. That's what makes it all worthwhile right? So, in the truest fashion of blatant epiphanies, I realized that midnight may not be my muse after all, but her sister who I call the Dawn Duchess. Not as fickle or as mischievous as her sultry twin, the Duchess apparently keeps inspiration in her back pocket like a folded twenty you find after slipping on a pair of jeans before you go out. Pure awesomeness. I've cleaned, done laundry, had breakfast, scanned the headlines, birthed an idea for a poem, AND started this post all before the time I usually curse my alarm and wipe the sleep from my eyes. I feel energized and my hands are a blur. I'm back in the saddle baby! Well, at least until my espresso wears off... 

3 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I can even manage to be lazy on caffeine. I love to sit at my computer unproductively and drink coffee in the morning, even as I remind myself that getting up earlier should help me write those amazing novels I dream of doing. I am one really determined procrastinator, so once again, you fill me with admiration. You are totally free to enjoy your epiphanies while I keep Satan occupied because I have your back. You're welcome.

mischief said...

Welcome to the Early Risers Club from one its longest standing (reluctant) members. There's a whole world that happens, isn't there, before noon. Now that you've seen it you cannot possibly go back to sleeping in.

Brown said...

heart - I appreciate the support!

mischief - Thank you, thank you...(reluctant bow) I'm afraid my membership may be a temporary one. Even though I've witnessed the greener grass, habits are incredibly difficult to break.