Wednesday, July 25, 2012

About a Boy

When my sister asked me to be a guest writer on her blog, my initial thought was that she must have gone crazy, obviously forgetting my penchant for sarcasm, innuendos, and fanfare. Not the first choice for mommy-blog material. Even though I often push boundaries or flirt with impropriety, I also venture into the contemplative caves of the mind, and peer deep into the reflective pools of my subconscious, asking questions, turning over rocks, and creating ripples. I suspect this is where she wants her readers to go...and not waking up naked with a hangover, next to a monkey smoking a cigarette.

While my sister and I do share a love for baseball, movies, books, and dogs, we couldn't be more worlds apart. For instance, we both talk about boobs...me for my adoration of them and her for their ability to sustain life. She lives on the East coast, and I on the West. She is family oriented and domestic, while I live the whimsical, risk-taking life of the hopelessly romantic bachelor. She has four amazing sisters...and I win have been blessed with five.

I don't suppose most guys are raised in such an equally nurturing, yet hormonally volatile environment. And truth be told, while I never got to watch what I wanted on T.V., or use the bathroom without a wait, I was bestowed a unique perspective into the female psyche. I'm certainly not going to sit here and tell you that I am a guru in such matters, but I am privy to the source of many female-specific behaviors that usually stupefy my less intelligent, neanderthalian brethren. Okay, well perhaps I don't have the actual answers as to "why" they do what they do, but I do have a fairly fool-proof crisis management and survival guide, which I personally think is more practical anyway.

Growing up with five sisters is kind of like being raised by wolves. You're allowed in the den and are considered family, but they can still tear you up if you get out of line. I'm not exactly sure where I'll go with my post, but I've lit the fire, and within the cauldron, something mysterious brews...

4 comments:

mischief said...

Wow, that's a pretty impressive feat, surviving being raised with five sisters. I absolutely believe you when you say you have learned a lot.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

At the very least, you learned early to put the toilet seat down. I have always thought that my son, who grew up in a household with a mom and two sisters, had become civilized in such matters of necessity. They, if not I, would have killed him otherwise.

Brown said...

mischief - Hahaha...my Dad says that to me a lot. I guess that's something we both have in common....we survived!

Heart - I did indeed. I tried to fight it when I was a rebellious teenager, but I was vastly outnumbered. One of the things I learned growing up was how to identify futile battles.

Blogger said...

At Free Bitcoin you may claim free satoshis. Up to 22 satoshis every 5 minutes.