Saturday, May 18, 2013

I love the 80s...

I should be studying right now and working on an assignment that's due at the time after which you should never feed a mogwai, but every cell in my body is fighting it. My mind is literally remembering all the things I've been neglecting to do, and trying to get me to do them. Must. Be. Strong. I have a poem that wants to come out and my blog keeps calling..."Brown, ya no me quieres"...you don't love me anymore.

I just started grad school, and every time I begin an assignment I ask myself what the hell I was thinking when I enrolled (I just noticed there were a lot of I's in that sentence). I suppose gleaning information from charts and graphs that illustrate Health Care Expenditures in the United States since the 1960s will do that to you. I'm up to my eyeballs in health care data. These are the moments I wish I could absorb the information like Johnny 5 in Short Circuit..."Need more input!"

Sorry for those of you who didn't grow up in the 80s and know that reference..."Your battery fluid is leaking!" (sorry, couldn't help myself) Your childhood was not nearly as awesome as mine if you didn't wear a Swatch, collect Garbage Pale Kid cards, watch Wrestlemania, The Cosby Show, The A-Team, Silver Spoons, Remington Steele, Magnum PI, and have at least one of these on your bed spread or pajamas: Star Wars, Pac-Man, Knight-Rider, The Goonies, Smurfs, My Little Pony, Rainbrow Brite, The Snorks, GI Joe, Gremlins, Karate Kid, E.T., or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Yeah, you wish you knew what a Care Bear Stare was.

4 comments:

Vincent Martinez said...

I can remember you when, you were there. You were so alive during those time. Not half a much fun,as Grad school. love from here.

Therese said...

Care Bear Stares creep me the hell OUT. It's basically mind-rape. "You're not HAPPY enough...we're gonna fix that for you. Fix it good."

mischief said...

Why have I always pictured you a happy go lucky 24 year old, I wonder? Turns out we're from the same generation after all. Did you also pick the stickers off your Rubiks cube so you could pretend to have solved it yourself?

Brown said...

Vince - I hear ya...lot less to worry about in those times.

Therese - Hahaha...True, but not nearly as creepy as a Teddy Ruxpin.

mischief - Lol...not sure why you've pictured me THAT young. And no, I was pretty good at solving the cube. But the humidity in Central America would often cause the stickers to come off by themselves, so we'd have to glue them back on. Either way it got old.